Friday 24 February 2012

Crochet I think?

I've mentioned recently about my inability to crochet! Well I am making progress if only with the tunisian crochet. I drew the short straw for a team competition being run at my WRI (same as WI) and was nominated to do the crochet item grrrrrrrreat (not). So not to be defeated I decided I'd give it a go and just do a couple of rows at a time as I have about 6 weeks to finish the "scarf"!
Hunted through my stash and found some white mohair that I'd tried to knit but had given up on, now why I thought I'd be able to crochet it when I couldn't knit it I don't know but we all have these moments.
One thing I've found is if you make a mistake ...tough luck as the mohair is impossible to unravel, it all knots up. But after a few hiccups I think I've got it

I've now crochet about 4 ft, one side is lovely and straight but the other is slightly less so I'm thinking of doing like a treble edge all the way round in a contrasting colour! I do have a first attempt that I could practice on before attempting the real deal.
What do you think?

6 comments:

Kimberley said...

It looks lovely, i'm very impressed! My 23 year old daughter taught herself to crochet on Monday. She has wanted to learn for ages and I tried to show her but i didn't find it easy to explain. She sat for hours and finally mastered it and has made 5 granny squares and she's now hooked! x

VintageVicki said...

I think that looks good for a beginner :) and yes a contrast edge would look lovely - I do that with my scarves as it finishes them off nicely :)

Shortbread and Ginger said...

Well done! Perseverance has paid off!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

WinnibriggsHouse said...

Well done you!. And you couldn't have used a worse yarn for your baptism of fire!. I rather like the idea of the edging, perhaps in a subtle colour though. I just wonder if its a different texture how it will look. I am very impressed with your progress. Hope we can see the finished article. x

Dazie said...

Well done you! I am still battling on I have nothing that resembles a square or any other shape for that matter! I am determined!

Dazie
x

Dawn said...

That looks like a devil to crochet with - 10 out of 10 for perseverance!